Republic of Zambia
MINISTRY OF GENERAL EDUCATION
PRESS STATEMENT BY THE MINISTER OF GENERAL EDUCATION, HONOURABLE DAVID MABUMBA, MP, ON THE CANCELLATION OF THE 2018 MATHEMATICS PAPER 2 EXAMINATION
Tuesday, 23rd October 2018
The Permanent Secretary, Administration
Directors in the Ministry of General Education and Examinations Council of Zambia
Members of the Media
Ladies and Gentlemen
The Examinations Council of Zambia and the Ministry of General Education received notification on the evening of 22nd October 2018 that the 2018 Grade 9 Mathematics paper 2 Examination was posted on online media (Zambian Watchdog). Immediately, management at the Council took the following steps:
- The Council informed officers at the Office of the President, The Permanent Secretary – Administration in the Ministry Of General Education and other stakeholders;
- The Council arranged to verify the authenticity of the circulated material. The verification process took place at the ECZ strong room around 22:45 hrs. The process was conducted by four (4) ECZ Officials in the presence of Two Zambia Police Officers.
- Upon comparing the circulated material with that in the ECZ storage it was noted that indeed the 2018 Mathematics Paper 2 examination was leaked and circulated on online media.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Arising from the findings of the verification, the following actions have been taken:
- In line with the ECZ Act chapter 137 of the laws of Zambia section 22 (1), I
have nullified the Grade Nine Mathematics Paper Two Examination paper
which should have been written today the 23rd of October 2018 in the morning at 08 00 hours.
- I have further instructed Management at the Council to print another paper to be administered at the later date to be advised before the end of this examination session.
- The Council Management and the Ministry working with Government Investigating Wings have been instructed to take remedial measures, mitigate the situation and thoroughly investigate the matter and bring the perpetrators to book.
- While the measures above are being administered, I have suspended the conduct of examinations until further notice.
I Thank You